Summer Blended Learning Institute
July 23-28, 2017
Want to learn more? Check out our Fall 2017 opportunities or send us a note: email@example.com
What is the BLI?
The goal of the Blended Learning Institute is to support K-12 independent school educators in blending pedagogy and technology to design student-centered learning experiences. In order to discover and develop mastery of GOA’s Catalyst Cards, our proven design strategies, BLI participants complete a 2 to 4 hour online workshop, and attend a 5-day in-person workshop from July 23-28, 2017 at the beautiful Islandwood School on Bainbridge Island, Washington, USA.
The BLI is not a conference! We believe learning should be hands-on and interactive, not merely “sit-and-get.” Both the online and in-person components are designed in a 50% absorb/50% apply format, giving you plenty of time to bring new ideas to projects you want to bring back to your school. Read about participants from the 2016 BLI.
- The BLI is blended. In order to design blended experiences for students, teachers should be skilled blended learners themselves. All BLI participants will take a short 2 to 4 hour online workshop prior to coming to Islandwood. The enrollment fee for this workshop is included in your BLI registration.
- The BLI is experiential. Learning by doing makes new ideas stick. You will spend 50% of your time at the BLI in workshops practicing with strategies and discussing the latest thinking in learning and technology. The other 50% will be spent in supported independent work time, where you’ll move forward on your own projects with the support of a BLI Coach.
- The BLI is collaborative. The online workshop is small (no more than 20 participants) so you can build relationships with your facilitator and classmates. At the in-person institute, you will be matched with a BLI coach who will provide critical feedback and support as you work. We keep the BLI small intentionally: we want you to get to know, learn from, and collaborate with like-minded colleagues.
Who is the BLI for?
Whether new to or experienced with using technology in the classroom, BLI participants are educators who want to design student-driven learning experiences.
- They are eager for the time, space, and support to move forward on innovative projects they’ve been thinking about for a while.
- They’ve been experimenting with technology in the classroom, but are curious about the pedagogy and design strategies that leverage technology best for learning. They’re ready for the next level.
- They thrive on collaboration and are eager to meet and learn from educators from different schools.
Schedule and Pricing
Schedule. Participants should arrive at the Islandwood School no later than 5pm PT on July 23, 2017. The BLI ends with a closing dinner on Thursday, July 27. Participants are encouraged to spend the night and join us for breakfast and goodbyes on Friday, July 28.
Pricing. The most impactful learning happens in collaboration with other teachers. We have set BLI pricing to encourage schools and organizations to send teams of educators to facilitate collaboration and enhance the impact of shared learning when teams return home.
Early Registration Pricing (until March 15, 2017)*
One participant: $3,700
Additional: $3,000 each
One participant: $4,200
Additional: $3,250 each
*Cancellations after May 1, 2017 will be refunded 50% of the registration fee.
- All BLI programming
- Set of Catalyst Cards
- Enrollment in Intro to Blended Learning (prerequisite for attending Islandwood portion of the BLI)
- Shared lodging at Islandwood (two participants to a room).
- All meals, beginning with dinner on July 23 and ending with breakfast on July 28
- Bus transportation from Bainbridge Island ferry dock to Islandwood School
- Continued learning: access to our online educator community.
- Travel to and from Bainbridge Island