These summer online courses encourage students entering grades 9-12 to pursue their passions and connect with classmates and a teacher from many different schools, all while not being tied to a single location. Designed to cover the same material and be as rigorous as our semester and yearlong courses, GOA summer courses are teacher-paced, mostly asynchronous online courses that focus on students applying course concepts to relevant, real world issues. Students should anticipate a significant amount of active learning: conducting interviews, engaging their location and community, doing research, and collaborating on projects. While these courses are online, students do not spend all of their work time looking at a computer. Learn more about the GOA experience.
Summer@GOA courses are open to only students enrolled at a member school. All interested students should talk about GOA with their on-campus GOA Site Director before applying. Applicants must be approved by their home school before being enrolled.
Summer@GOA is SOLD OUT for 2017. Sign up here to receive updates on Summer 2018!
Schedule: Monday, June 19-Friday, August 4 (seven weeks)
- GOA courses are both interactive (students will be required to log in multiple times a week to participate in discussions and collaborate on projects) and intensive (students should anticipate spending 10-12 hours a week on coursework, including a weekly video chat).
Courses Offered: GOA courses are small (no more than 20 students), mostly asynchronous online courses designed so students can explore topics they care about in new ways, all while building relationships with a teacher and classmates. Students should anticipate engaging the course multiple times a week, sometimes daily, including a weekly video chat with teacher and classmates.
Note: GOA Summer Courses are 7-week versions of our 14-week courses.
- Computer Science I: Computational Thinking (FULL for 2017)
- Introduction to Psychology (FULL for 2017)
- Medical Problem Solving I (FULL for 2017)
Cost: $750.00/student. Sections capped at 20 students.
Technology requirements: Students must have daily access to a computer with a reliable internet connection and a functional webcam. While mobile devices (phones/tablets) are useful tools for this work, they should not be used as replacements for computers (laptops, desktops). Please read course descriptions for more specific requirements.
Refund policy: Students who cancel between May 1 and June 26, 2017, will be refunded 50% of the enrollment fee. Students who withdraw from the course after June 26 will not receive a refund.
- Classes are hosted in GOA’s Learning Management System, Canvas. Students will be provided with access information a week prior to the course’s open. Canvas is a cloud-based tool accessible from computers and mobile devices.
- GOA will send midterm and end-of-term grade reports. These reports are sent via email to the student, parent/guardian, and school. Throughout the course, students will have access to their grades and feedback via Canvas’ open gradebook.
- Student support will be handled by the teacher and GOA. Requests for support from parent/guardian will occur in cases where student communication or work has lagged.